META @ Keystone
What is META
META (Mobile Europeans Taking Action) is a range of services provided by Keystone Development Trust for the migrant European worker communities in the Keystone area.
What is META Drop-in Centre?
META Drop-in Centre is a face to face information and support service staffed by migrant workers to help mobile communities settle down quickly and effectively. META staff provide support in English, Portuguese, Polish, Lithuanian and Russian on:
- Where to get help and advice in the UK;
- Information about rights to live and work in the UK;
- Welfare benefits;
- Public services;
- Driving in the UK;
- Issues related to Consulates/ Embassies;
- Applying for a National Insurance number;
- Reading and writing letters;
- Filling in some forms;
- Finding employment;
- Enrolling in training courses;
Monday: 09:15 – 14:45
Tuesday: 09:15 – 14:45
Thursday: 15:00 – 19:00
Saturday: 09:30 – 15:30 (1st and 3rd Saturdays of every month only)
META, The Limes, 32 Bridge Street, Thetford IP24 3AG tel. 01842 754639
The Centre primarily offers a face-to-face drop-in service but we can deal with a limited number of enquiries by phone. To leave a message for an advisor please call 01842 757346 (Eastern European languages) or 01842 757356 (Portuguese). We aim to return calls within two working days.
Mike Flavell, Team Leader, can be contacted during Centre opening hours on 01842 757340.
Robyn Challis, service manager, can be contacted on 01842 757352.
META Stop Smoking Service
META delivers a Level 2 Smoking Cessation Service, commissioned by NHS Norfolk, to migrant workers in the Thetford area. The service operates five days a week and is staffed by NHS-trained advisors who are themselves migrant workers. The service is delivered in the Polish, Lithuanian, Russian and Portuguese languages.
- discuss the effects of smoking and of quitting smoking with clients
- assess each client’s dependence on smoking
- help clients to set a quit date
- provide intensive emotional and behavioural support and advice throughout the quit process, either on a one-to-one basis or in small groups
- ensure that clients are fully informed about the range of products that can help people quit smoking
- enable clients to obtain suitable products from their GP or pharmacy.
Clients can refer themselves to the service or can be referred by other agencies and healthcare organisations.
To leave a message for an advisor please call 01842 757346 (Eastern European languages) or 01842 757356 (Portuguese). Robyn Challis, service manager, can be contacted on 01842 757352.
META ESOL (English as a Second Language)
New ESOL classes starting in May/ June in Thetford and Brandon. Contact the META Drop-in Centre on 01842 757355 to go on our waiting list (contact us on Mondays 9-3, Tuesdays 9-4 and Thursdays 3-7 only).